Budapest, the Paris of the East,” they say. But why settle for being a lesser version of someone else when you can be a one-of-a-kind destination? This Hungarian gem packs a punch with its unique features that make it stand out among other European cities. From its thermal baths to its ruin bars, Budapest has got it all! Here are 10 reasons why Budapest should be at the top of your European itinerary.
1. The Thermal Baths: Budapest is known for its thermal baths, which have been around since Roman times. The city is home to over a hundred thermal springs, and the most famous baths are the Gellért Baths, Rudas Baths, and Széchenyi Baths. Imagine soaking in hot, healing waters while taking in breathtaking views of the city. How luxurious!
2. The Danube River: The Danube River runs through the heart of Budapest and provides stunning views of the city. Take a river cruise and see the city from a different perspective, or take a walk along the river and admire the iconic Chain Bridge, the Parliament Building, and Buda Castle.
3. The Parliament Building: The Hungarian Parliament Building is the largest building in Hungary and one of the oldest legislative buildings in Europe. Its neo-Gothic architecture is simply stunning and a must-see for all visitors. Take a tour and learn about the rich history of Hungary.
4. The Ruin Bars: Budapest’s ruin bars are a unique feature of the city that cannot be found anywhere else in Europe. These bars are located in the Jewish Quarter and are built in abandoned buildings. They’re the perfect place to relax with a drink and soak up the eclectic, bohemian atmosphere.
5. Hungarian Cuisine: Hungarian cuisine is a blend of traditional and modern cooking techniques, resulting in delicious dishes like goulash, chimney cake, and pörkölt. Hungarian wine is also a must-try, especially the famous Tokaji wine.
6. The Hungarian State Opera House: The Hungarian State Opera House is one of the most beautiful opera houses in Europe. Its stunning interior, top-notch performances, and rich history make it a must-visit for culture enthusiasts.
7. The Bridges: Budapest is known for its stunning bridges, and the Chain Bridge is the most famous of them all. The bridge connects Buda and Pest and provides breathtaking views of the city. But don’t stop there, check out the Liberty Bridge, the Elizabeth Bridge, and the Petőfi Bridge as well.
8. Hungarian Folk Art: Hungarian folk art is a mix of traditional and modern techniques, resulting in unique and beautiful pieces. From hand-painted ceramics to hand-woven textiles, Hungarian folk art is a must-see for art lovers.
9. The Hungarian Parliament Museum: The Hungarian Parliament Museum is a hidden gem that provides a unique look into the history of Hungary. Learn about the country’s past, present, and future while admiring the stunning architecture of the Parliament Building.
10. The Nightlife: Budapest’s nightlife is lively and diverse, with something for everyone. From classical concerts to ruin bar parties, the city has it all. So, whether you’re looking to relax with a drink or dance the night away, Budapest’s nightlife will not disappoint.
In conclusion, Budapest is a city that truly has it all. From its thermal baths to its ruin bars, from its stunning bridges to its rich history.